Sunday, January 20, 2013

The icy city to the north

I spent the last five days in Beijing spending time with some of the poor souls who have already returned to classes. It was nice being someplace familiar for a little and especially nice seeing some friends again. Besides going out with the aforementioned friends/poor souls, I spent the last days in Beijing planning the rest of my trip.

As I had worried it would be, transportation around China surrounding Spring Festival is expensive and difficult to come by. I was able to get train tickets to Harbin, where I will go for a few days to see the famous ice festival and to freeze my pretty little ass off (average temperature of about -1 Fahrenheit in January). After that, I will fly to Guilin to see Yangshuo and the river for about a week before I get on the train to go to Kunming. Once in Kunming, I hope to be able to get a ticket to Lijiang, from which I will go to Dali to spend Spring Festival with my friend from travels past, Michael. After that, I will board a very expensive flight back to Beijing on the 19th, when I should be able to check into my dorm at Peking University.

Here's hoping that all goes to plan, and that that which does not go to plan spawns great adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Careful about freezing too much of said ass off - you're slender enough as it is!

    Have a great time! Happy travels! Can't wait to see the pictures of the ice festival!

    ReplyDelete