Friday, August 10, 2012

Falling

I feel like I am falling. Not falling to death or anything like that, but falling, with no firm ground under my feet, and unsure of exactly what I will find when I reach the ground. With my flight cancellation today, it is like I misjudged my distance from the ground, and suddenly I have to prepare all over again. I am confident in my landing and my preparation, but I am still floating, waiting to hit the ground. 

That is a rather metaphorical way to start a blog (though I plan to treat this more as a Journal (with pictures!) than a blog, so be prepared), but I think it is an apt description of my current state-of-mind. Everything is rushing by - packing, bike rides, goodbyes - and my mind is whirling and focusing and refocusing as I seek firm footing. 

However I am feeling, it is here. China. Tomorrow I will leave for Beijing, arriving just in time to miss the opening of IMUSE, the conference in Beijing and Hong Kong I will be attending for my first 10 days in China. I have a large suitcase, a carry on backpack, and a hulking hiking backpack ready for the journey, for the adventure. For my adventure. For my year in China.

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent way to describe that feeling. One of the feelings I found overwhelming was that everything just barely worked and fit together. I got off one plane and onto the next and then in a taxi and then to a building where I would pick up my key and then to an apartment where I would live. But if the plane had not been there or the taxi had not been there or the key had not been there or the apartment had not been there, then where would I be? in this foreign land? But in the end, despite all the problems you may encounter, it does work. Like when you put a puzzle together and all one million pieces are there. You are surprised, even though it's what you expected.

    ReplyDelete