Friday, August 24, 2012

Second hostel on the third floor

I'm on my own. The conference finished two days ago with a farewell lunch followed by a mad scramble for accommodations for the night. Several delegates either had flights the next day or planned, like me, to stay in Hong Kong for a few more days, so those of us who hadn't planned so well as others were busy trying to find a place to stay. What made it more confusing was that we wanted to stay together if possible but one person might stay with a friend while another wanted to stay in the dorm we were currently at while another wanted to stay with the second person while the first actually did want to stay with with us if we stayed in the dorm but the dorm would only let us stay for one night and so on and so forth, with one of the delegates, Felix, and I calling hostels looking for rooms for anywhere from two to six people. In the end, the people that were staying only one more day decided to simply stay where we had been and Felix and I decided to go to a hostel on our own.
We were taught the price of our procrastination by being overcharged for a room with a double bed and a bathroom stuffed into a room the size of a walk-in closet, but located much more centrally in Tsim Sha Tsui in "Mirador Mansion," a shabby building full of hostels, guesthouses, and tailors. We settled in and headed to Victoria Peak to meet other delegates for one last outing with a gorgeous view of Hong Kong at night.
The day before, we went to HK University for two really fascinating lectures about social entrepreneurship. I was a big fan of one in particular that was by a young guy who didn't really know what he wanted to do with his life, but came out with a career surrounding the things he loves. It was reassuring to think that he went so long not sure but came out with a career.
After the lectures, we went to a mall in Tsim Sha Tsui (that my hostel happens to be very close to, so I am currently in it writing this) that one of the main sponsors of IMUSE owns. We saw some art installations in the mall including a pretty awesome Mona Lisa made out of toast before going to do some art ourselves. We each got a ~2 by 2 canvas, an apron, a rainbow of acrylic paint, and feast of Pizza Hut and KFC, and were given free reign. A friend of mine and I decided to paint portraits of each other to exchange, which I really had a lot of fun doing.
I have spent the last days exploring HK and spending time with some of the delegates still in Hong Kong. I have mostly wandered and relaxed, enjoying the perplexing freedom of schedule-less days. Felix left to go to Macau, so I took the opportunity to shop around for a cheaper hostel (all in Mirador Mansion so I don't have to lug my bags around too much), bringing me to a single room (safer for my years-worth of luggage) with a bathroom for hk$180 (~20USD) instead of a similar double for hk$420 (~50USD).
In other news, my Kindle broke. Hong Kong seems to have a way with my Kindles, since the same thing happened last summer when I was here. I got by with my iPod for a day before doing some research and going to a huge computer and electronics market and searching for one there. Only one shop had Kindles, and their prices were reasonable (and unchanging when I asked multiple salespeople), so I went ahead and bought one, upgrading to a Kindle touch with 3G and a case (while my Foxtrot cover was undoubtedly awesome, it twice failed to achieve its supposed purpose of protecting my Kindle) for hk$1800, about 225USD, which, at about $40 more than buying in the US, seemed worth it for the ease and speed of purchase and the otherwise high shipping costs.
That's quite a large helping of the inner workings of the mind of Dylan, so I will stop here for now.
Noses are hard... 
 Hong Kong from Victoria Peak
It's a monster! 
 Fresh fish at a market in Kowloon
 I liked the clothing disparity here
 And here. Also, I hope to have eyebrows like this someday 

 Meat.
 Fruits and Vespas
Vegetables and Fruit of the Loom

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I love the pictures - especially the portrait you did!
    I'm glad you liked the lecture by the guy who finally found a career. I think the trick is simply doing what feels right. With your gifts, you won't have any problem being happy with whatever you are doing.

    ReplyDelete