Monday, August 13, 2012

The hotel somewhere over that way

I have arrived, safe and sound. My flights (Richmond - Chicago - Beijing) went smoothly and relatively quickly (though my flight from Chicago to Beijing had a dismal movie selection of about 8 mediocre titles. To more than make up for it, I had my seat moved to an emergency exit row with more leg room than you can imagine. There was so much room for activities!

My seatmate was a very outgoing and friendly guy named Logan who works for the Coast Guard as what sounded like an environmental policeman. He shared some whiskey and some stories, and, along with a very friendly and open flight attendant, made the flight very nice overall.

Beijing airport was not so exciting. I spent an hour waiting for my luggage followed by an hour in a taxi cue and an hour actually getting to the hotel (my driver didn't know where it was, so he called two friends figuring it out) for the conference, arriving a little after 3am.

The first day of the conference was an amusement park, fun and exhilarating and leaving me exhausted at the end of the day. I met a few dozen people (about half from China and half from the US) whose names, colleges (mostly ivy leagues), majors (all sorts, from East Asian Studies to Dentistry), and hometowns I am struggling to remember and keep straight. I didn't miss to much due to my late flight, which was reassuring. We had a panel about Sino-US relations, during which I brought up foreign aid competition in Africa, which illustrated the really interested Chinese scholarship on the subject that is available. Following lunch, we all went to a lecture by a famous Chinese academic, He Weifang, who has done a lot of work to establish Rule of Law in China. The lecture was in Chinese, which challenged my Chinese and limited my understanding, but it was a fascinating lecture. We had dinner at a cafeteria at Tsinghua (4 floors, with tons of choices, with gov't-subsidized prices. We then got into groups to work on a group presentation for Wednesday.

Overall, it has been a good first day. I am very tired, but it felt good to be back. There are always the things you forget about, the annoyances that never enter your mind when you think back fondly, like not being able to brush your teeth with water from the faucet. My roommate, Qiu Daolong, is a master degree candidate at Peking University (he will be there one more year, just like me!), and is very polite, helpful, and friendly. All is well.

 All dressed up for the opening ceremony of IMUSE (Initiating Mutual Understanding through Student Exchange) 2012
 A famous Western-style building on the Tsinghua University campus
Some children doing an ROTC-like program on the Peking University campus

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to know that you're safe, well welcomed, and already engaged.

    enjoy!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! What are you doing your group presentation on? (And why can't you brush your teeth with faucet water?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like plunging in headfirst, Dylan. Wow. Hope you get a chance to rest and reflect at some point, but it all sounds amazing. So glad you'll be blogging and sharing pictures - can't wait! Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I think that the tap water has a lot of chlorine in it, so people don't drink it (the Chinese people I know don't either). It probably would be fine for me to use for brushing my teeth, but it is the general caution surrounding the tap water that throws me off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures!
    When I first looked at the picture of the people in camouflage, I assumed they were adults. I had to click on it to see how young they really are. What a surprise!
    And the building looks like it belongs at UVA - it looks like the Rotunda. I love seeing pictures like this that offer insight into the culture as well as an unexpected juxtaposition.
    I found a photographer online who offers just such incongruities. I am so taken with his work, I spent 2 hours on his site! Here's the url in case you're interested: http://www.pbase.com/pnd1/travel_incongruities It might give you some ideas for pictures as you're looking around. I think he's excellent.
    I am loving your blog and am so glad you're doing it. It's great reading about what you're doing. It's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You write a mean blog, Dylan! Look forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete